Manaus is a city in the Amazon rainforest in the northwestern part of Brazil. The city's climate is a tropical monsoon climate and the temperature is very uniform, about 30 C throughout the year, rainfall is the highest from December to May. The city's main attraction is in the Amazon River and the surrounding jungle, both you can explore by tours, that are organized from the city. The Amazon River is formed by two rivers, which mix near the town and mixing point of the waters is a popular tourist destination (because the water of the two rivers has a significant color difference). The city also has a considerable number of beautiful colonial buildings. The city is also reasonably safe for a Brazilian city, although the east side of the city should be avoided at night.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Manaus forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Manaus is quite a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $42.81, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $108.49, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $25.45
- Hotel (3 stars): $38.19
- Hotel (4 stars): $53.10
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $4.61
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $8.10
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.84
- Meal, McDonalds: $5.95
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $4.75
Manaus has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 27.4 (weaker than United states average 48.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 38.0 (weaker than United states average 69.0)
- Walking alone at night: 13.0 (weaker than United states average 41.3)
More information: Manaus safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: An international driving license is generally recommended, but not necessarily required.
- Direction of traffic: In South America the traffic is right-handed. The only exceptions to this are Guyana and Suriname.
- Age restrictions: In Argentina the age limit for driving is 21 years.
- Roads, bridges and tunnels with toll: Geography of toll roads North and South America