Belem is a big city at the delta of the Amazon River, in the northern part of Brazil. The city's climate is a tropical rain forest climate, temperatures are very close to 30 C throughout the year and most of the rain falls between January and May. Belem has a number of old buildings from the colonial period, which are among the modern buildings from the sixes and sevens, as well as a small old fortress. Most of the tourists come here to reach the Amazon River. The city also has a sizeable football stadium. During the day Belem is a little safer than most of the other Brazilian cities, but you should still pay special attention to safety. It is not recommended to go outside at night.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Belem forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Belem is quite a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $44.38, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $126.25, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Basic hotel: $63.24
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $4.66
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $8.18
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.93
- Meal, McDonalds: $6.00
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $4.80
Belem has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 22.8 (weaker than United states average 48.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 20.8 (weaker than United states average 69.9)
- Walking alone at night: 3.1 (weaker than United states average 40.8)
More information: Belem safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: An international driving license is generally recommended, but not necessarily required.
- Direction of traffic: In South America the traffic is right-handed. The only exceptions to this are Guyana and Suriname.
- Age restrictions: In Argentina the age limit for driving is 21 years.
- Roads, bridges and tunnels with toll: Geography of toll roads North and South America