La paz (Bolivia)
La Paz is a big city in Bolivia, in the west of the country. The city is located over 3,500 m above sea level in the highlands and is surrounded by even higher mountains. The city's climate is mainly a subtropical highland climate and the average day temperature remains close to 10 C, throughout the year, but at night it can be a few degrees below 0 C. Rain falls mostly from November to March. The main attractions of the city are the surrounding mountains and the opportunity to climb them. The area has also a few reasonable museums, the world's highest golf course, as well as Sagarna (the main tourist spot in the region) with souvenir shops and trilobites deals of street merchants. The city also has a reasonably functioning public transport ski lift with gondolas. Pitching and robberies are fairly common. If a police men, who is dressed in normal clothes, asks you to do something, you should either call the emergency number or insist to get to the police station. Because of the city's significantly high location, the altitude sickness is a common problem for tourists who arrive in the country through this area.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: La paz forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, La paz is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $41.06, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $167.97, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $25.58
- Hotel (3 stars): $62.02
- Hotel (4 stars): $139.80
- Hotel (5 stars): $81.16
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $8.65
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $15.87
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $2.02
- Meal, McDonalds: $5.88
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $2.88
La paz has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 48.2 (a little better than United states average 48.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 71.4 (a little better than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 37.4 (weaker than United states average 41.8)
More information: La paz safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: An international driving license is generally recommended, but not necessarily required.
- Direction of traffic: In South America the traffic is right-handed. The only exceptions to this are Guyana and Suriname.
- Age restrictions: In Argentina the age limit for driving is 21 years.
- Roads, bridges and tunnels with toll: Geography of toll roads North and South America