Car rental - Oceania
Things which affect the renting of the car in Oceania:
- Driver’s license: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent a car.
- Direction of traffic: In Oceania (Australia, New Zealand) the traffic is left-handed.
- Insurance: All rental cars tend to be offered with some form of insurance, but insurance policies rarely are very comprehensive, so make sure, if your travel insurance or your insurance covers damages on rental cars, before taking an additional insurance from a car rental company.
- Driving abroad / in the wider area: You can drive a rental car almost always everywhere without additional fees.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 21 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Return in a different location: Large car rental companies often also allow the return of the car in a different state than the starting point, although it can be considerably costly.
- Additional costs: Renting a car from the airport can be more expensive than elsewhere.
- Tolls: In Australia tolls for roads are common in nearly all big cities and their surroundings. Some rental companies have their own electronic toll pay devices in their cars, which must be specified as an option in connection with the rental. Otherwise the payment is handled by an EMU passport for tourists, paid cash or by in advanced purchased toll labels. In New Zealand some rental companies have their own electronic toll pay devices in their cars, which must be specified as an option in connection with the rental. Otherwise the payment is paid cash or by in advanced purchased toll labels. Almost the only road with toll in New Zealand is: Northern Highway.
- Traffic: In Oceanic the traffic in the big cities, is congested at almost all times of the day and inside the cities it is preferable to use public transportation or taxis.
- Roads, bridges and tunnels with toll: Oceania