Melbourne is a metropolis. It is located at Australia's south coast and it is the financial center of the country. The city is also famous for its Victorian architecture, its amazing shopping opportunities, numerous museums and art galleries, as well as its large parks and gardens. The residents of Melbourne are also the biggest sports fans throughout Australia. Cricket, Formula 1 and football, played by Australian rules, are very popular. Melbourne also hosts Australia's tallest residential building, the Eureka Tower, which offers a 360 degree view over the whole city.
Monthly Weather Conditions
Melbourne is a fun destination to travel throughout the year. It is most fun during the summer months of December to March. The weather is pleasant and warm very apt for sightseeing and other activities.
December to March: These are the summer months in Melbourne and the best time to enjoy the many attractions when the weather is hot at time, but usually pleasant.
September to November and March to May: Spring (September to November) and Autumn (March to May) are also good times to visit Melbourne courtesy the pleasant weather
June to August: These are the coldest months in Melbourne. This is the off-season when the airfares and hotel rates fall down. It sometimes snows in the hills outside the city during this time which makes the nights chilly. "
More information: Melbourne forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Melbourne is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $62.48, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $244.60, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $24.54
- Hotel (3 stars): $78.11
- Hotel (4 stars): $124.22
- Hotel (5 stars): $158.18
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $8.68
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $14.34
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $4.84
- Meal, McDonalds: $7.26
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $12.10
Melbourne has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 55.7 (better than United states average 48.3)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 72.3 (a little better than United states average 70.0)
- Walking alone at night: 42.8 (a little better than United states average 42.1)
More information: Melbourne safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent a car.
- Direction of traffic: In Oceania (Australia, New Zealand) the traffic is left-handed.
- Insurance: All rental cars tend to be offered with some form of insurance, but insurance policies rarely are very comprehensive, so make sure, if your travel insurance or your insurance covers damages on rental cars, before taking an additional insurance from a car rental company.
- Driving abroad / in the wider area: You can drive a rental car almost always everywhere without additional fees.