Canberra was built with the purpose to be the capital of Australia in the Southeast. The city's climate is continental and the summers are often hot (typically 27 C) and the winters are cool (3 C). The city is a planned city, with national monuments, museums and art galleries, all built around man-made lakes. The city's location in the middle of the "bush" with its with fantastic parks, gardens and nature reserves makes it a paradise for outdoor fans. "
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Canberra forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Canberra is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $71.02, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $227.07, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $48.27
- Hotel (3 stars): $81.90
- Hotel (4 stars): $113.35
- Hotel (5 stars): $138.05
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $8.75
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $14.45
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $4.89
- Meal, McDonalds: $7.33
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $12.23
Canberra has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 79.5 (better than United states average 48.3)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 86.4 (better than United states average 70.0)
- Walking alone at night: 68.2 (better than United states average 42.1)
More information: Canberra safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent a car.
- Direction of traffic: In Oceania (Australia, New Zealand) the traffic is left-handed.
- Insurance: All rental cars tend to be offered with some form of insurance, but insurance policies rarely are very comprehensive, so make sure, if your travel insurance or your insurance covers damages on rental cars, before taking an additional insurance from a car rental company.
- Driving abroad / in the wider area: You can drive a rental car almost always everywhere without additional fees.