Washington (United states)
Washington, D.C. is the capital of the United States, located in the east, along the Potomac river. The city's climate is humid subtropics, meaning that summers are hot and long and winter being short and cold. Summer's average temperatures are about +27 C, in winter couple minus celsius degrees are normal. Rainfalls are quite even throughout the year, but from December to February some of it might come as snow. The city has most of the country's best-known monuments and buildings. The city also has enormous amount of world class museums, good shopping possibilities and wild nightlife. Also the every spring cherry blossom festival is popular.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Washington forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Washington is an expensive destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $75.15, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $348.70, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $108.58
- Hotel (3 stars): $185.35
- Hotel (4 stars): $196.31
- Hotel (5 stars): $348.77
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $12.14
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $20.85
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $5.00
- Meal, McDonalds: $8.00
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $15.00
Washington has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 42.5 (weaker than United states average 48.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 66.2 (a little weaker than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 39.0 (weaker than United states average 41.8)
More information: Washington safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: It is recommended that the traveller should carry an international driving license as a translation of the Finnish driving license. Passport and a credit card are required to rent a car.
- Direction of traffic: The traffic in the United States and Canada is right-handed.
- Insurance: It is recommended to take a paid insurance for rental cars. Standard car insurances do not have an insurance retracted, if your travel insurance does not cover something related to leasing. Without an insurance the driver is responsible, if a crash occurs, or if the car gets stolen or broken up. If you get into a crash, the insurance of the person responsible for the accident may cover the cost for the damage on your rental car, but not in every case, so you should first call the police and it can be tricky to obtain a compensation. The exception to this is New York, where the law prescribes, that the insurance has to cover a minimal insurance for rental cars.
- Driving in the wider area: Some rental companies do not allow the export of theirs cars over the state border, you should check that in advance.