San francisco (United states)
San Francisco a metropolis in Northern California, located at the west coast of the United States. The city's by far most famous attractions are the Golden Gate Bridge and the old Alcatraz prison island. Even though the city itself is huge, the city center is only 11 km x 11 km in size. San Francisco is also one of the world's most visited cities. Further popular destinations are the city's numerous sandy beaches, as well as its Chinatown. San Francisco's crime statistics are indeed quite high and it should be avoided to be out at night alone.
Monthly Weather Conditions
The best time to visit San Francisco is from September to November. Believe it or not, fall offers some of the city's warmest temperatures year-round, not to mention fewer crowds than summer. Spring is another good time to visit thanks to its mild temperatures and lack of rain
More information: San francisco forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, San francisco is an expensive destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $77.00, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $348.72, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $102.30
- Hotel (3 stars): $159.88
- Hotel (4 stars): $262.52
- Hotel (5 stars): $441.64
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $12.77
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $21.94
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $4.52
- Meal, McDonalds: $7.52
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $15.04
San francisco has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 47.3 (a little weaker than United states average 48.8)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 70.0 (a little better than United states average 68.9)
- Walking alone at night: 41.8 (a little better than United states average 41.2)
More information: San francisco safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: It is recommended that the traveller should carry an international driving license as a translation of the Finnish driving license. Passport and a credit card are required to rent a car.
- Direction of traffic: The traffic in the United States and Canada is right-handed.
- Insurance: It is recommended to take a paid insurance for rental cars. Standard car insurances do not have an insurance retracted, if your travel insurance does not cover something related to leasing. Without an insurance the driver is responsible, if a crash occurs, or if the car gets stolen or broken up. If you get into a crash, the insurance of the person responsible for the accident may cover the cost for the damage on your rental car, but not in every case, so you should first call the police and it can be tricky to obtain a compensation. The exception to this is New York, where the law prescribes, that the insurance has to cover a minimal insurance for rental cars.
- Driving in the wider area: Some rental companies do not allow the export of theirs cars over the state border, you should check that in advance.