New orleans (United states)
New Orleans is a large city in South-East coast of the United States, in the state of Louisiana, the Gulf of Mexico beach. Citys climate is subtropics so winters are short and warm (average temperature +10 C) and summers are hot and humid (+28 C) rainfalls being at peak during summer. City also has considerable hurricane risk, over 10 well-known hurricanes have raged in the city and surrounding areas. The city has a lot of buildings from the colonial era and also Victorian mansions, cathedral, a few good museums and aquarium. Every year there is held the Mardi Gras festival, when the city is full of partying people and parades. Most of the citys criminal problems are in areas where tourists rarely visit, but Central City- area should be avoided totally.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: New orleans forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, New orleans is an expensive destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $82.39, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $319.43, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $78.98
- Hotel (3 stars): $168.49
- Hotel (4 stars): $207.20
- Hotel (5 stars): $344.12
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $12.06
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $20.74
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $5.01
- Meal, McDonalds: $8.02
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $15.04
New orleans has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 34.7 (weaker than United states average 47.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 56.6 (weaker than United states average 69.5)
- Walking alone at night: 25.3 (weaker than United states average 41.6)
More information: New orleans safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: It is recommended that the traveller should carry an international driving license as a translation of the Finnish driving license. Passport and a credit card are required to rent a car.
- Direction of traffic: The traffic in the United States and Canada is right-handed.
- Insurance: It is recommended to take a paid insurance for rental cars. Standard car insurances do not have an insurance retracted, if your travel insurance does not cover something related to leasing. Without an insurance the driver is responsible, if a crash occurs, or if the car gets stolen or broken up. If you get into a crash, the insurance of the person responsible for the accident may cover the cost for the damage on your rental car, but not in every case, so you should first call the police and it can be tricky to obtain a compensation. The exception to this is New York, where the law prescribes, that the insurance has to cover a minimal insurance for rental cars.
- Driving in the wider area: Some rental companies do not allow the export of theirs cars over the state border, you should check that in advance.