Houston (United states)
Houston is a big city in the south of the United States, located in the state of Texas. The Johnson Space Center of the NASA and their operations management is located here. Other attractions of the city are the excellent opportunities for shopping, the cuisine and the numerous museums and art galleries. The city is considered throughout the US to be the most restaurant oriented city and the authentic ethnic restaurants from Korean to Mexican are very popular. Houston also has a couple of well-known parks, and in February and March there is held the country's largest cattle carnival, whose main themes are barbecue and rodeo.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Houston forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Houston is an expensive destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $83.41, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $279.58, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $75.77
- Hotel (3 stars): $111.06
- Hotel (4 stars): $174.58
- Hotel (5 stars): $251.45
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $11.89
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $20.41
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $5.02
- Meal, McDonalds: $8.02
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $15.04
Houston has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 36.3 (weaker than United states average 48.2)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 57.4 (weaker than United states average 69.8)
- Walking alone at night: 25.7 (weaker than United states average 42.0)
More information: Houston safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: It is recommended that the traveller should carry an international driving license as a translation of the Finnish driving license. Passport and a credit card are required to rent a car.
- Direction of traffic: The traffic in the United States and Canada is right-handed.
- Insurance: It is recommended to take a paid insurance for rental cars. Standard car insurances do not have an insurance retracted, if your travel insurance does not cover something related to leasing. Without an insurance the driver is responsible, if a crash occurs, or if the car gets stolen or broken up. If you get into a crash, the insurance of the person responsible for the accident may cover the cost for the damage on your rental car, but not in every case, so you should first call the police and it can be tricky to obtain a compensation. The exception to this is New York, where the law prescribes, that the insurance has to cover a minimal insurance for rental cars.
- Driving in the wider area: Some rental companies do not allow the export of theirs cars over the state border, you should check that in advance.