Honolulu (United states)
Honolulu is Hawaii's largest city and it is located in the southeast of the island of Oahu. The city is the southernmost major city in the United States and the main gateway to the islands of Hawaii and the major point of entry into the United States. The city's most famous attraction is the Waikiki beach, where most of the tourists head to, immediately after arriving. Waikiki Beach is the most popular beach of Hawaii and it is usually packed with tourists. It is also a good place to learn to surf, since the majority of the city's surf schools organizes classes for beginners here. The city also has a few smaller, less famous sandy beaches, which are less crowded and just as beautiful as Waikiki Beach. Pearl Harbor is located in the western part of the city and it is equipped with a monument of the attack in World War II.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Honolulu forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Honolulu is an expensive destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $63.54, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $415.41, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $158.42
- Hotel (3 stars): $198.56
- Hotel (4 stars): $297.19
- Hotel (5 stars): $493.98
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $12.13
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $20.84
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $4.99
- Meal, McDonalds: $7.99
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $14.99
Honolulu has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 55.4 (better than United states average 48.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 82.5 (better than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 54.4 (better than United states average 41.8)
More information: Honolulu safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: It is recommended that the traveller should carry an international driving license as a translation of the Finnish driving license. Passport and a credit card are required to rent a car.
- Direction of traffic: The traffic in the United States and Canada is right-handed.
- Insurance: It is recommended to take a paid insurance for rental cars. Standard car insurances do not have an insurance retracted, if your travel insurance does not cover something related to leasing. Without an insurance the driver is responsible, if a crash occurs, or if the car gets stolen or broken up. If you get into a crash, the insurance of the person responsible for the accident may cover the cost for the damage on your rental car, but not in every case, so you should first call the police and it can be tricky to obtain a compensation. The exception to this is New York, where the law prescribes, that the insurance has to cover a minimal insurance for rental cars.
- Driving in the wider area: Some rental companies do not allow the export of theirs cars over the state border, you should check that in advance.