Fairbanks (United states)
Fairbanks is a small inland city in the middle of Alaska in the United States, located at the banks of the Chena River. The climate of Fairbanks is subarctic and the city is known as the coldest city in the United States. The average temperatures are between -26 C and -32 C in winter, and between 10 C and 20 C in summer. Rainfall is fairly the same throughout the year, although in winter the rain falls as snow. The main attractions in the region include the annual ice carving festival (from February to March), the Morris-Thompson cultural center, the northern lights in winter and various cruises on the Chena River in summer, as well as day trips to the nearby gold production areas. The nearby Trans-Alaska oil pipeline is also well worth a visit.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Fairbanks forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Fairbanks is an expensive destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $87.75, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $275.70, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $11.81
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $20.22
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $4.98
- Meal, McDonalds: $7.98
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $14.96
Fairbanks has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 61.6 (better than United states average 47.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 78.6 (better than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 64.3 (better than United states average 41.7)
More information: Fairbanks safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: It is recommended that the traveller should carry an international driving license as a translation of the Finnish driving license. Passport and a credit card are required to rent a car.
- Direction of traffic: The traffic in the United States and Canada is right-handed.
- Insurance: It is recommended to take a paid insurance for rental cars. Standard car insurances do not have an insurance retracted, if your travel insurance does not cover something related to leasing. Without an insurance the driver is responsible, if a crash occurs, or if the car gets stolen or broken up. If you get into a crash, the insurance of the person responsible for the accident may cover the cost for the damage on your rental car, but not in every case, so you should first call the police and it can be tricky to obtain a compensation. The exception to this is New York, where the law prescribes, that the insurance has to cover a minimal insurance for rental cars.
- Driving in the wider area: Some rental companies do not allow the export of theirs cars over the state border, you should check that in advance.