Detroit (United states)
Detroit is a large city in the northern part of the US state of Michigan. The city is located at the eponymous river, between the Great Lakes. The city's climate is humid continental with hot summers (25 C) and cold winters (-10 C). Rainfall is relatively the same throughout the year, although from December to February it falls mostly as snow. Detroit is primarily known as the capitol city of the US car manufacturing, for its easily recognizable skylines and architecture. The city also has three large casinos, as well as numerous concerts. The city also hosts cruises to the surrounding Great Lakes. Detroit is one of the cities with the hightst crime statistics in the United States, although most of the problems can be prevented by staying on the major roads and avoiding some of the worst areas (such as Inkster).
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Detroit forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Detroit is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $74.99, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $231.99, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $69.29
- Hotel (3 stars): $111.70
- Hotel (4 stars): $168.10
- Hotel (5 stars): $262.64
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $11.84
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $20.27
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $5.00
- Meal, McDonalds: $7.99
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $14.98
Detroit has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 26.5 (weaker than United states average 47.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 41.0 (weaker than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 23.2 (weaker than United states average 41.7)
More information: Detroit safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: It is recommended that the traveller should carry an international driving license as a translation of the Finnish driving license. Passport and a credit card are required to rent a car.
- Direction of traffic: The traffic in the United States and Canada is right-handed.
- Insurance: It is recommended to take a paid insurance for rental cars. Standard car insurances do not have an insurance retracted, if your travel insurance does not cover something related to leasing. Without an insurance the driver is responsible, if a crash occurs, or if the car gets stolen or broken up. If you get into a crash, the insurance of the person responsible for the accident may cover the cost for the damage on your rental car, but not in every case, so you should first call the police and it can be tricky to obtain a compensation. The exception to this is New York, where the law prescribes, that the insurance has to cover a minimal insurance for rental cars.
- Driving in the wider area: Some rental companies do not allow the export of theirs cars over the state border, you should check that in advance.