Managua is the capital city of Nicaragua, located at the eponymous lake in the west of the country. The city's climate is tropical and the temperature is around 30 C throughout the year. The rainiest period is from May to October. The city is Nicaragua's main trade center, and there is sold anything from coffee to cotton, as well as locally produced beer, matchsticks and shoes. The main attraction of the area is the Tiscapa Lagoon in the crater of an extinct volcano, from which the town gets its water. The city also has numerous casinos and a lot of cheap hostels or hotels. Managua is infamous for crime mainly against tourists and it is even recommended to try to avoid the city completely or at least to move around the city by bus or taxi, and only in areas that you know, even during the day. It is also recommended never to pay by credit card in Managua.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Managua forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Managua is quite a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $36.78, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $151.23, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $55.26
- Hotel (3 stars): $77.81
- Hotel (4 stars): $113.40
- Hotel (5 stars): $75.55
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $9.41
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $16.82
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.28
- Meal, McDonalds: $5.99
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $4.86
Managua has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 48.6 (a little better than United states average 47.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 66.9 (a little weaker than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 30.4 (weaker than United states average 41.7)
More information: Managua safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: It is recommended that the traveller should carry an international driving license as a translation of the Finnish driving license. Passport and a credit card are required to rent a car.
- Direction of traffic: The traffic in the United States and Canada is right-handed.
- Insurance: It is recommended to take a paid insurance for rental cars. Standard car insurances do not have an insurance retracted, if your travel insurance does not cover something related to leasing. Without an insurance the driver is responsible, if a crash occurs, or if the car gets stolen or broken up. If you get into a crash, the insurance of the person responsible for the accident may cover the cost for the damage on your rental car, but not in every case, so you should first call the police and it can be tricky to obtain a compensation. The exception to this is New York, where the law prescribes, that the insurance has to cover a minimal insurance for rental cars.
- Driving in the wider area: Some rental companies do not allow the export of theirs cars over the state border, you should check that in advance.