Cancun is a city in southeastern Mexico, located at the peninsula of Yucatan, on the coast of the Caribbean Sea. The city is one of the most popular Mexican beach resorts and nearly the entire city coastline offers sandy beaches, which are suitable for swimming. In addition to the luxury hotels and the sandy beaches, the area around the city hosts the Isla Contoy, the main bird nesting islands of the Caribbean, where more than 150 different species of birds come to nest. The region also offer the opportunity for diving courses, snorkeling trips and jeep safaris. The city also has two full-service golf course.
Monthly Weather Conditions
Best time to visit Cancún is from December to April during the peak season. Even though the crowds are heavier, you'll experience near-perfect weather and find some of the cheapest flight and room rates for a winter getaway at the beach. Just try to avoid traveling from mid-March to early April that's when spring breakers descend on the Yucatán's shores. There are also significant discounts in late spring, summer and fall, but Cancún summers are sweltering and the fall months are prone to storms.
More information: Cancun forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Cancun is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $33.97, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $190.35, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $35.87
- Hotel (3 stars): $76.86
- Hotel (4 stars): $356.93
- Hotel (5 stars): $816.87
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $2.12
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $3.61
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.56
- Meal, McDonalds: $4.66
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $5.18
Cancun has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 54.5 (better than United states average 49.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 67.0 (a little weaker than United states average 70.2)
- Walking alone at night: 51.1 (better than United states average 41.1)
More information: Cancun safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: It is recommended that the traveller should carry an international driving license as a translation of the Finnish driving license. Passport and a credit card are required to rent a car.
- Direction of traffic: The traffic in the United States and Canada is right-handed.
- Insurance: It is recommended to take a paid insurance for rental cars. Standard car insurances do not have an insurance retracted, if your travel insurance does not cover something related to leasing. Without an insurance the driver is responsible, if a crash occurs, or if the car gets stolen or broken up. If you get into a crash, the insurance of the person responsible for the accident may cover the cost for the damage on your rental car, but not in every case, so you should first call the police and it can be tricky to obtain a compensation. The exception to this is New York, where the law prescribes, that the insurance has to cover a minimal insurance for rental cars.
- Driving in the wider area: Some rental companies do not allow the export of theirs cars over the state border, you should check that in advance.