Kingston is the capital city of the island Jamaica in the southeastern Caribbean Sea. Kingston is the largest English-speaking native American community in the south. The city's climate is tropical, temperatures remain steadily around 30 C throughout the year. The largest rainfall is obtained from April to June and from August to October. The city's attractions include numerous sandy beaches, several parks, the Bob Marley museum as well as the Port Royal, that was a famous and rich pirate harbor in the 1600s. Kingston's crime rates are relatively high compared to the rest of the island and the district called Trench Town should be avoided in particular. All the safety instructions for standard-sized cities should be applied throughout the area of Kingston.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Kingston forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Kingston is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $39.39, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $287.55, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $30.50
- Hotel (3 stars): $106.09
- Hotel (4 stars): $208.76
- Hotel (5 stars): $360.91
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $21.29
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $39.64
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $2.06
- Meal, McDonalds: $5.62
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $4.42
Kingston has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 31.0 (weaker than United states average 48.3)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 53.3 (weaker than United states average 70.0)
- Walking alone at night: 28.3 (weaker than United states average 42.1)
More information: Kingston safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: It is recommended that the traveller should carry an international driving license as a translation of the Finnish driving license. Passport and a credit card are required to rent a car.
- Direction of traffic: The traffic in the United States and Canada is right-handed.
- Insurance: It is recommended to take a paid insurance for rental cars. Standard car insurances do not have an insurance retracted, if your travel insurance does not cover something related to leasing. Without an insurance the driver is responsible, if a crash occurs, or if the car gets stolen or broken up. If you get into a crash, the insurance of the person responsible for the accident may cover the cost for the damage on your rental car, but not in every case, so you should first call the police and it can be tricky to obtain a compensation. The exception to this is New York, where the law prescribes, that the insurance has to cover a minimal insurance for rental cars.
- Driving in the wider area: Some rental companies do not allow the export of theirs cars over the state border, you should check that in advance.