Guatemala city (Guatemala)
Guatemala City (locally also known as Guatemala or Guate) is the capital city of Guatemala in the south of the country. It is also the most populous city of Central America. The city is located 1500 meters above sea level. Despite the tropical location, the climate is more of a subtropical highland climate. The variation of the average temperatures is bigger in proportion to day and night than in proportion to the seasons. Today's average temperatures are between 22-28 C during the day and between 12-17 C at night. Most of the rain falls from April to October. The city is mainly famous for its historical center, which includes the Maya ruins of the Old Town, as well as a number of buildings from the colonial-era, even though the earthquakes between 1917 and 1918 destroyed a large part of them. The central market offers good shopping opportunities and the city also has a reasonably good nightlife, even though tourists are only to some extent safe at night in the areas 10, 14 or 4. The city has high crime statistics and tourists are often victims of robbery or attacks. The Embassy of the United States keeps track of their citizens, who became recently victims of crimes in Guatemala City.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Guatemala city forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Guatemala city is quite a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $37.94, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $156.72, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $32.00
- Hotel (3 stars): $76.38
- Hotel (4 stars): $123.85
- Hotel (5 stars): $142.45
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $5.66
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $8.11
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.94
- Meal, McDonalds: $5.41
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $5.15
Guatemala city has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 39.2 (weaker than United states average 49.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 40.7 (weaker than United states average 70.2)
- Walking alone at night: 14.0 (weaker than United states average 41.1)
More information: Guatemala city safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: It is recommended that the traveller should carry an international driving license as a translation of the Finnish driving license. Passport and a credit card are required to rent a car.
- Direction of traffic: The traffic in the United States and Canada is right-handed.
- Insurance: It is recommended to take a paid insurance for rental cars. Standard car insurances do not have an insurance retracted, if your travel insurance does not cover something related to leasing. Without an insurance the driver is responsible, if a crash occurs, or if the car gets stolen or broken up. If you get into a crash, the insurance of the person responsible for the accident may cover the cost for the damage on your rental car, but not in every case, so you should first call the police and it can be tricky to obtain a compensation. The exception to this is New York, where the law prescribes, that the insurance has to cover a minimal insurance for rental cars.
- Driving in the wider area: Some rental companies do not allow the export of theirs cars over the state border, you should check that in advance.