Santo domingo (Dominican republic)
Santo Domingo is the capital city of the Dominican Republic and the most populated city in the Caribbean. It is located in the southern part of the Caribbean Sea. The city's climate is tropical and the temperature will remain steadily around 30 C throughout the year. Rainfall is scarce above average in the summer from April to October. The hurricane season lasts from early June to the end of November. The city's biggest attraction is the its well-preserved historic center with its numerous churches, palaces and monuments. The city also has a lot of smaller casinos, the National Aquarium, the limestone caves and the Columbus Lighthouse, where the remains of the explorer are buried. The city is reasonably safe, although scammers and pickpockets are common. So if you are looking like a Western European and someone local will talk to you, it is generally begging for money or an attempt to threaten you.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Santo domingo forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Santo domingo is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $46.09, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $208.18, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $32.26
- Hotel (3 stars): $50.73
- Hotel (4 stars): $135.13
- Hotel (5 stars): $102.19
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $17.96
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $32.15
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $2.08
- Meal, McDonalds: $6.63
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $6.63
Santo domingo has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 33.4 (weaker than United states average 49.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 40.3 (weaker than United states average 70.2)
- Walking alone at night: 17.3 (weaker than United states average 41.1)
More information: Santo domingo safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: It is recommended that the traveller should carry an international driving license as a translation of the Finnish driving license. Passport and a credit card are required to rent a car.
- Direction of traffic: The traffic in the United States and Canada is right-handed.
- Insurance: It is recommended to take a paid insurance for rental cars. Standard car insurances do not have an insurance retracted, if your travel insurance does not cover something related to leasing. Without an insurance the driver is responsible, if a crash occurs, or if the car gets stolen or broken up. If you get into a crash, the insurance of the person responsible for the accident may cover the cost for the damage on your rental car, but not in every case, so you should first call the police and it can be tricky to obtain a compensation. The exception to this is New York, where the law prescribes, that the insurance has to cover a minimal insurance for rental cars.
- Driving in the wider area: Some rental companies do not allow the export of theirs cars over the state border, you should check that in advance.