San jose (Costa rica)
San Jose is Costa Rica's capital city near the west coast in the central region of the country. The city is located 1200 m above sea level, so even if the geographical location is tropical, the temperature may fall significantly down at night and during the rainy season. The city has several good museums. The whole area and the population is mainly European, because of its past as Portuguese colony. Many hotels also have their own casinos and you can go on day trips, i.a. to the nearby coffee plantations.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: San jose forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, San jose is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $49.05, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $171.08, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $39.96
- Hotel (3 stars): $71.74
- Hotel (4 stars): $121.08
- Hotel (5 stars): $192.77
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $6.80
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $12.49
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $2.58
- Meal, McDonalds: $6.88
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $7.00
San jose has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 44.6 (weaker than United states average 49.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 68.0 (a little weaker than United states average 70.2)
- Walking alone at night: 21.8 (weaker than United states average 41.0)
More information: San jose safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: It is recommended that the traveller should carry an international driving license as a translation of the Finnish driving license. Passport and a credit card are required to rent a car.
- Direction of traffic: The traffic in the United States and Canada is right-handed.
- Insurance: It is recommended to take a paid insurance for rental cars. Standard car insurances do not have an insurance retracted, if your travel insurance does not cover something related to leasing. Without an insurance the driver is responsible, if a crash occurs, or if the car gets stolen or broken up. If you get into a crash, the insurance of the person responsible for the accident may cover the cost for the damage on your rental car, but not in every case, so you should first call the police and it can be tricky to obtain a compensation. The exception to this is New York, where the law prescribes, that the insurance has to cover a minimal insurance for rental cars.
- Driving in the wider area: Some rental companies do not allow the export of theirs cars over the state border, you should check that in advance.