Vancouver is a big city in Canada, located on the west coast of the country at the northern Pacific Ocean. Vancouver is Canada's third largest city and well known not only for its skyscrapers, but also for its surrounding beautiful nature. The city is situated between the mountains and the Pacific Ocean. The city's most famous attraction is the Stanley Park, an over a thousand acre-sized park in the city center, which is surrounded by a marina. Most of the trees are over 100 years old. The Stanley Park Aquarium was also the first in the world, which examined the killer whales in captivity. Vancouver's most popular sport is hockey and the city's professional team is the Vancouver Canucks.
Monthly Weather Conditions
The best time to visit Vancouver is typically in the summer when you'll have warm, sunny weatherespecially since Vancouver's rainy season can last long time, starting in October and ending in June. But summertime also brings more tourists and higher prices.
More information: Vancouver forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Vancouver is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $59.14, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $252.73, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $64.33
- Hotel (3 stars): $103.23
- Hotel (4 stars): $167.33
- Hotel (5 stars): $393.14
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $12.91
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $22.59
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $4.56
- Meal, McDonalds: $7.60
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $12.91
Vancouver has been classified as safe with security classification 4/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 63.3 (better than United states average 48.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 84.0 (better than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 60.3 (better than United states average 41.8)
More information: Vancouver safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: It is recommended that the traveller should carry an international driving license as a translation of the Finnish driving license. Passport and a credit card are required to rent a car.
- Direction of traffic: The traffic in the United States and Canada is right-handed.
- Insurance: It is recommended to take a paid insurance for rental cars. Standard car insurances do not have an insurance retracted, if your travel insurance does not cover something related to leasing. Without an insurance the driver is responsible, if a crash occurs, or if the car gets stolen or broken up. If you get into a crash, the insurance of the person responsible for the accident may cover the cost for the damage on your rental car, but not in every case, so you should first call the police and it can be tricky to obtain a compensation. The exception to this is New York, where the law prescribes, that the insurance has to cover a minimal insurance for rental cars.
- Driving in the wider area: Some rental companies do not allow the export of theirs cars over the state border, you should check that in advance.