Kars is a large town in the eastern part of Turkey, at the Armenian border. The city's climate is continental humid and the average temperature is 22 C in summer and -15 C in winter. Rainfall is most intense during the summer months, although during the winter it mainly falls the form of snow. The city is mainly visited by tourists who come to see the border of the countries and the ancient fortress city Ani. In the city itself there is very little to see, even though Kars own little fortress might be worth a visit.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Kars forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Kars is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $57.47, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $133.50, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Basic hotel: $71.44
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $2.60
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $4.65
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.92
- Meal, McDonalds: $3.01
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $3.01
Kars has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 60.3 (better than United states average 48.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 76.1 (better than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 51.4 (better than United states average 41.7)
More information: Kars safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: In the European Union / Schengen a driver's license from an EU country is sufficient, although for North Americans it is recommended to carry a separate international driving license, in addition to the American driving license.
- Direction of traffic: In Europe the traffic is mainly right-handed. The exception is Great Britain, which is left-handed traffic.
- Insurance: In Western Europe, all rental cars include some kind of insurance, so additional insurance policies are often unnecessary (unless you are going to Russia or Eastern Europe).
- Driving abroad: You can drive a rental car almost everywhere within all countries of the European Union / Schengen territory without additional fees. Eastern European countries and Russia are the exceptions and you should always ask the car rental company in advance about the rules.