Izmir is a large coastal town at Turkey's Mediterranean west coast. The city's climate is typical Mediterranean, the temperatures are between 20 C and 40 C in summer and between 1 C and 12 C in winter. Rain falls in this area mainly in winter. The ancient city Smyrna is now a modern trade center with large avenues, glass houses and ultramodern shopping centers. The city also has a few excellent sandy beaches and an exceptionally good nightlife for Turkey.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Izmir forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Izmir is quite a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $54.23, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $114.45, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $49.01
- Hotel (3 stars): $72.37
- Hotel (4 stars): $76.33
- Hotel (5 stars): $90.49
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $5.76
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $10.85
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $2.15
- Meal, McDonalds: $3.36
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $3.62
Izmir has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 71.7 (better than United states average 47.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 86.2 (better than United states average 69.5)
- Walking alone at night: 64.5 (better than United states average 41.7)
More information: Izmir safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: In the European Union / Schengen a driver's license from an EU country is sufficient, although for North Americans it is recommended to carry a separate international driving license, in addition to the American driving license.
- Direction of traffic: In Europe the traffic is mainly right-handed. The exception is Great Britain, which is left-handed traffic.
- Insurance: In Western Europe, all rental cars include some kind of insurance, so additional insurance policies are often unnecessary (unless you are going to Russia or Eastern Europe).
- Driving abroad: You can drive a rental car almost everywhere within all countries of the European Union / Schengen territory without additional fees. Eastern European countries and Russia are the exceptions and you should always ask the car rental company in advance about the rules.