Las palmas (Spain)
Las Palmas is the largest city of the Canary Islands and very well-known for its subtropical, sunny, and warm-blooded climate. On average there are only 20 rainy days per year. The city's most famous attraction is the about 4 km long and swimmer-friendly beach Playa de Las Canteras. There are also numerous historic sites and museums. For everyone who is interested in vegetation the Canary Islands offer exotic plants and superb possibilities to snorkel.
Monthly Weather Conditions
There's great weather to be enjoyed all year in Las Palmas, and it's almost a year-round destination. Every season has a distinct charm. Most rainy days are from November to March but don't overthink it because the maximum rain is only 3 days in the month.
Theres no bad month to visit Las Palmas city, but the best months are considered to be from April to September.
More information: Las palmas forecast and weather conditions monthly
Las palmas 10 most important sights:
- Playa de Las Canteras: Beach
- La Vegueta: Old neighborhood
- Casa de Colon: Christopher Columbus' house is now a history museum.
- Jardin Canario: Unique garden erected on the side of a ravine; contains examples of every kind of vegetation.
- Playa del Confital: Beach
- Doramas Park: Park
- Catedral de Santa Ana: Cathedral located in an historic town.
- Carp Gran Canaria: Offers day and night excursions for carp fishing.
- Canarian Museum: Museum that houses the most complete archeological collections in the Canary Islands.
- Parque de San Telmo: Park
Recommendation for one day:
- Have a great morning on the beach at Playa de Las Canteras. The water is nice and the beach is great, and the many locals who frequent it add a sense of authenticity.
- Visit La Vegueta, the old town of Las Palmas. It's full of history and there you can find the home of Christopher Columbus.
- Nearby is Calle Triana which has many good shops and many places to sit, relax and have coffee when you get tired of shopping.
- After that, go to Jardin Canario, a unique garden erected on the side of a ravine with examples of every kind of vegetation found on the Canaries.
- Cap the night at a casino or go to Mercado del Puerto, where you can eat all the best tapas fresh from the market, there's amazing ham, cheese, pinxtos and croquettes, all waiting to be washed down with superb Albarino, Rioja or Rueda.
The recommended accommodation areas for Las palmas are:
Cheap area: El Paso
Central location: Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Beach area: Playa de Las Canteras
Nightlife: Puerto Vallarta
Compared to prices worldwide, Las palmas is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $53.36, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $190.33, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $71.77
- Hotel (3 stars): $96.89
- Hotel (4 stars): $162.56
- Hotel (5 stars): $359.44
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $13.07
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $21.76
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $3.04
- Meal, McDonalds: $9.12
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $13.31
Las palmas has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 76.1 (better than United states average 47.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 90.8 (better than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 75.4 (better than United states average 41.7)
More information: Las palmas safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: In the European Union / Schengen a driver's license from an EU country is sufficient, although for North Americans it is recommended to carry a separate international driving license, in addition to the American driving license.
- Direction of traffic: In Europe the traffic is mainly right-handed. The exception is Great Britain, which is left-handed traffic.
- Insurance: In Western Europe, all rental cars include some kind of insurance, so additional insurance policies are often unnecessary (unless you are going to Russia or Eastern Europe).
- Driving abroad: You can drive a rental car almost everywhere within all countries of the European Union / Schengen territory without additional fees. Eastern European countries and Russia are the exceptions and you should always ask the car rental company in advance about the rules.