Bilbao is a sizeable city in northern Spain, located at the banks of the Nervión River. The city's climate is exceptionally mild and in winter the temperatures are rarely dropping below 10 C. Although it rains far more throughout year than in the rest of Spain. Bilbao's by far most famous attraction is the Guggenheim museum, but the city area also has a few other fairly large museums and old churches and palaces. The city also offers river cruises to the estuary of the Bay of Biscay. The nearby 45 m high Viskayan Bridge, is the world's first gondola bridge. It was built in the 1800's and carries more than 6 cars at a time on one gondola wagon over river mouth.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Bilbao forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Bilbao is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $55.75, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $229.25, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $69.46
- Hotel (3 stars): $65.87
- Hotel (4 stars): $81.02
- Hotel (5 stars): $100.47
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $10.64
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $17.40
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $2.77
- Meal, McDonalds: $7.76
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $11.08
Bilbao has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 45.8 (weaker than United states average 48.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 51.0 (weaker than United states average 69.0)
- Walking alone at night: 40.2 (a little weaker than United states average 41.3)
More information: Bilbao safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: In the European Union / Schengen a driver's license from an EU country is sufficient, although for North Americans it is recommended to carry a separate international driving license, in addition to the American driving license.
- Direction of traffic: In Europe the traffic is mainly right-handed. The exception is Great Britain, which is left-handed traffic.
- Insurance: In Western Europe, all rental cars include some kind of insurance, so additional insurance policies are often unnecessary (unless you are going to Russia or Eastern Europe).
- Driving abroad: You can drive a rental car almost everywhere within all countries of the European Union / Schengen territory without additional fees. Eastern European countries and Russia are the exceptions and you should always ask the car rental company in advance about the rules.