Astrakhan is a big city at the banks of Volga River in southern Russia. The city's climate is continental half-arid, but the winters are cold (-10 C) and the summers hot (25 C). Rainfall is very low throughout the year, although December to February snow can fall. Astrakhan is famous mainly among Russian fishing and hunting tourists, and in the summer you can sail on a river cruise along the Volga to Moscow.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Astrakhan forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Astrakhan is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $47.02, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $113.97, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Basic hotel: $68.64
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $2.09
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $2.69
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.56
- Meal, McDonalds: $4.67
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $7.79
Astrakhan has been classified as safe with security classification 4/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 75.6 (better than United states average 49.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 100.0 (better than United states average 70.2)
- Walking alone at night: 62.5 (better than United states average 41.0)
More information: Astrakhan safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: In the European Union / Schengen a driver's license from an EU country is sufficient, although for North Americans it is recommended to carry a separate international driving license, in addition to the American driving license.
- Direction of traffic: In Europe the traffic is mainly right-handed. The exception is Great Britain, which is left-handed traffic.
- Insurance: In Western Europe, all rental cars include some kind of insurance, so additional insurance policies are often unnecessary (unless you are going to Russia or Eastern Europe).
- Driving abroad: You can drive a rental car almost everywhere within all countries of the European Union / Schengen territory without additional fees. Eastern European countries and Russia are the exceptions and you should always ask the car rental company in advance about the rules.