Bucharest is Romania's capital city, located in the south of the country, at the banks of Dâmbovi?a River. The city's climate is humid and continental due to its location on the Romanian plateau. Summer temperatures are typically 25 C on both sides and in winter often below 0 C. Rainfall is on a steady level throughout the year, although in winter the rains falls mainly as snow. The city's main attractions are the numerous historic buildings, which are often side by side with the modern glass palaces and the ugly concrete blocks of the communist era. The City area also hosts several "escape the room" style games, in which the players will be locked in a room with the clues and objects that will help them to escape.
Monthly Weather Conditions
The best time to visit Bucharest are:
- Spring (March May) According to many locals, spring is when Bucharest is at its best. ...
- Summer (June August) Come summer, Bucharest becomes the tale of two cities. ...
- Fall (September November) As the days get shorter, the temperature drops and the atmosphere turns balmy and pleasant. ...
- Winter (December February)"
More information: Bucharest forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Bucharest is quite a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $40.20, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $107.31, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $40.27
- Hotel (3 stars): $49.48
- Hotel (4 stars): $68.47
- Hotel (5 stars): $116.40
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $4.15
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $7.62
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.39
- Meal, McDonalds: $4.54
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $5.78
Bucharest has been classified as safe with security classification 4/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 72.3 (better than United states average 48.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 89.1 (better than United states average 69.9)
- Walking alone at night: 67.4 (better than United states average 40.8)
More information: Bucharest safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: In the European Union / Schengen a driver's license from an EU country is sufficient, although for North Americans it is recommended to carry a separate international driving license, in addition to the American driving license.
- Direction of traffic: In Europe the traffic is mainly right-handed. The exception is Great Britain, which is left-handed traffic.
- Insurance: In Western Europe, all rental cars include some kind of insurance, so additional insurance policies are often unnecessary (unless you are going to Russia or Eastern Europe).
- Driving abroad: You can drive a rental car almost everywhere within all countries of the European Union / Schengen territory without additional fees. Eastern European countries and Russia are the exceptions and you should always ask the car rental company in advance about the rules.