Madeira is a group of islands in the Atlantic Ocean. They belong to Portugal, and are located approximately 400 km from the Canary Islands to the north. Madeira is a popular beach resort. In addition to the warm climate around the year and the sandy beaches, Madeira has vast amounts of different kinds of flowers, landscapes and embroidery partisans. Madeira made it into the Guinness Book of World Records (2006) for the world's largest New Year fireworks. The surrounding greenery is partly based on "levada" called aqueducts, of which the oldest were built in the 1400s, and the latest in the 1960s. They bring the water from the mountains to the farming areas and gardens. The area's further attractions include Gabo Girao, one of the worlds highest cliffs, which is 590 m above sea level, and the Sao Vincente Caves, which can be visited within the lava stone tunnels. All of the larger towns of the islands also have historic centers, which were mostly built in the Middle Ages."
Monthly Weather Conditions
There's great weather on offer all year in Madeira. The rainy days are from November to February, but there are still great places to visit, making this a great year-round destination.
The best time to go is in spring, from March to May, when you can visit one of the world's most beautiful Botanical Gardens. And also winter is a very popular time to visit this city. Folks come for the temperatures and for the spectacular New Years fireworks.
More information: Madeira forecast and weather conditions monthly
Madeira 7 most important sights:
- Quinta do Riacho (Funchal): Enjoy Madeira Island's wonderful weather, breathtaking views and great trails for horseback riding.
- Monte Palace Tropical Garden: At Monte, a fashionable hill town in Madeira, are magnificent gardens.
- Lava Pools: A pool close to the beach.
- Blandy's Wine Lodge: Acquired in 1840 by Charles Ridpath Blandy, the Blandy's Wine Lodge has always been an integral part of the production of Blandy's Madeira Wine.
- Santa Catarina Park: Great park
- Laurel Forest: This type of wild and scenic forest landscape is fast becoming a rare sight along the Mediterranean.
- Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Monte: This 18th-century church, a pilgrimage site, is located in the picturesque village of Monte.
Recommendation for one day:
- Start the day with Harmony in Nature activities, for those who want unforgettable moments of outdoor adventure. On sea or land, you'll see remarkable places and experience incredible sensations.
- Visit Monte Island Cable Car, see lots of houses, and lovely baby goats on a garden hillside, it will be a nice experience.
- Nearby is Blandy's Wine Lodge. Acquired in 1840 by Charles Ridpath Blandy, Blandy's Wine Lodge has long been an integral part of the production of Madeira Wine.
- Go to Santa Catarina Park (Funchal). A beautiful park with paths, trees and flowers. It's family friendly, with easy walks, pools, birds. All very relaxing in the downtown waterfront area.
- Finish off the day at Madeira Tradicional (Funchal). Embracing the concepts of tradition and quality, it presents a variety of handmade products from local ingredients and you can also shop for the finest souvenirs.
Compared to prices worldwide, Madeira is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $48.20, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $148.70, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $38.20
- Hotel (3 stars): $56.72
- Hotel (4 stars): $90.37
- Hotel (5 stars): $154.06
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $6.06
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $8.67
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.99
- Meal, McDonalds: $6.65
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $8.86
Madeira has been classified as extremely safe with security classification 5/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 85.4 (better than United states average 48.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 93.2 (better than United states average 69.0)
- Walking alone at night: 84.8 (better than United states average 41.3)
More information: Madeira safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: In the European Union / Schengen a driver's license from an EU country is sufficient, although for North Americans it is recommended to carry a separate international driving license, in addition to the American driving license.
- Direction of traffic: In Europe the traffic is mainly right-handed. The exception is Great Britain, which is left-handed traffic.
- Insurance: In Western Europe, all rental cars include some kind of insurance, so additional insurance policies are often unnecessary (unless you are going to Russia or Eastern Europe).
- Driving abroad: You can drive a rental car almost everywhere within all countries of the European Union / Schengen territory without additional fees. Eastern European countries and Russia are the exceptions and you should always ask the car rental company in advance about the rules.