Palermo is a metropolis in the northern part of the island of Sicily, at the Gulf of Palermo in Italy. Palermo's climate is Mediterranean with hot summers, the average temperatures in summer can be close to 27 C and in winters near 10 C. Rain falls in this area mainly from October to April. The city is famous for its Norman architecture, as well as for the from Sicily coming organized criminality, the mafia. The city also has a minor amount of shops, that refuse to provide a part of their profits to the Mafia. In the windows of these shops are "Pizzo free" stickers and the locals tend to prefer them."
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Palermo forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Palermo is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $64.76, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $266.32, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $60.02
- Hotel (3 stars): $74.31
- Hotel (4 stars): $104.24
- Hotel (5 stars): $151.46
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $12.39
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $18.85
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $5.93
- Meal, McDonalds: $9.48
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $17.78
Palermo has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 53.1 (better than United states average 48.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 68.6 (a little weaker than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 46.6 (better than United states average 41.8)
More information: Palermo safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: In the European Union / Schengen a driver's license from an EU country is sufficient, although for North Americans it is recommended to carry a separate international driving license, in addition to the American driving license.
- Direction of traffic: In Europe the traffic is mainly right-handed. The exception is Great Britain, which is left-handed traffic.
- Insurance: In Western Europe, all rental cars include some kind of insurance, so additional insurance policies are often unnecessary (unless you are going to Russia or Eastern Europe).
- Driving abroad: You can drive a rental car almost everywhere within all countries of the European Union / Schengen territory without additional fees. Eastern European countries and Russia are the exceptions and you should always ask the car rental company in advance about the rules.