Rhodes is the largest of the Greek islands in the Mediterranean Sea and a very popular tourist destination. Tourists are attracted to the island by the idyllic and well-preserved historic center, the sunny and almost throughout the year warm climate, the beaches, as well as the numerous archaeological sites. On Rhodes is not only the actual city of Rhodes, but also many castle ruins around the island. One of the other attractions is the "butterfly valley" (an area where thousands of colorful butterflies are flocking in the summer months)."
Monthly Weather Conditions
Rhodes offers great weather all year and fantastic places to visit at any time. The most rainy days are from December to February but the temperatures generally stay above 10 degrees Celsius.
This city is a year-round destination but the best months are from April to November, temperatures are good and rainy days are 0. June to September is peak season, but March to May and October to November are attractive too because you can skirt the more expensive summer season -- but not the comfortable temperatures.
More information: Rhodes forecast and weather conditions monthly
Rhodes 8 most important sights:
- Medieval City: This old part of Rhodes is the location of many interesting attractions of historical significance.
- Village of Lindos: An archaeological site, a town and a former municipality on the island of Rhodes.
- Acropolis of Lindos: You can easily determine which part is ancient and which is new.
- Archaeological Museum of Rhodes (Hospital of the Knights): Museum
- Tsambika Beach: Lovely, very popular and long sandy bay.
- Palace of Grand Master of Knights: A medieval castle on the island of Rhodes.
- Monastery Tsambika: A lovely, very popular, long sandy bay, above which is a monastery dedicated to Our Lady.
- The Church of the Panagia: Beautiful old church built in the 13th century.
Recommendation for one day:
- A perfect morning would be spent at the Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights of Rhodes, a medieval castle, one of the few examples of Gothic architecture in Greece.
- Nearby you'll find the Archaeological Museum of Rhodes, containing various collections of archaeological artifacts from the island of Rhodes.
- Go on to Tsambika Beach, one of the most beautiful beaches on Rhodes. A long, broad beach with fine, golden sand and dozens of colourful little flags marking out the various eating establishments and beach sport centres.
- Visit Faliraki waterpark, this 100,000m2 waterpark on the east coast of the island of Rhodes has got rides and slides for all ages.
- Round off the evening at Casino of Rhodos, located at the center of Rhodes town, there's roulette, blackjack, casino poker and 300 slot machines.
Compared to prices worldwide, Rhodes is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $62.83, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $186.04, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $43.56
- Hotel (3 stars): $49.01
- Hotel (4 stars): $100.26
- Hotel (5 stars): $159.00
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $8.52
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $12.90
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $4.73
- Meal, McDonalds: $7.69
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $11.83
Rhodes has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 74.5 (better than United states average 48.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 86.8 (better than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 69.7 (better than United states average 41.7)
More information: Rhodes safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: In the European Union / Schengen a driver's license from an EU country is sufficient, although for North Americans it is recommended to carry a separate international driving license, in addition to the American driving license.
- Direction of traffic: In Europe the traffic is mainly right-handed. The exception is Great Britain, which is left-handed traffic.
- Insurance: In Western Europe, all rental cars include some kind of insurance, so additional insurance policies are often unnecessary (unless you are going to Russia or Eastern Europe).
- Driving abroad: You can drive a rental car almost everywhere within all countries of the European Union / Schengen territory without additional fees. Eastern European countries and Russia are the exceptions and you should always ask the car rental company in advance about the rules.