Heraklion is quite large city in the Crete island, located in island north coast. The city's climate is mediterranean, so summers are warm and winters are mild. In summer temperatures are normally around +25 C and in winter +10 C. Rainfalls are mostly get from November to March. The city's biggest attractions are historical center, which is surrounded by walls and also the archaeological museum over 3000 year old Minoan expedition. There is also ancient Knosso Minoan palace near the city. Nearby the city there are also some good beaches.
Monthly Weather Conditions
Crete offers great weather all year. It's got incredible sights and offers a great time.
Of course, the summer months are best but they are the most crowded. However, the Mediterranean makes for a great getaway no matter the season or month, and this island is no exception thanks to its mild weather.
More information: Heraklion forecast and weather conditions monthly
Heraklion 8 most important sights:
- Knossos: Knossos, undeniably the capital of Minoan Crete, was inhabited for several thousand years, beginning with a Neolithic settlement in the seventh millennium BC.
- Chania (City): With markets selling all kinds and qualities of leather goods, and a really interesting indoor food market, Chania Town is worth a visit.
- Lasithi Prefecture: I went to Lassithi with the goal of visiting the Lassithi Plateau to view the windmills, as I had seen old pictures in which the plateau was filled with working windmills.
- Agios Nikolaos: Capital of the province of Lassithi, Agios Nikolaos is one of the longest-established resort towns located on the east of the island.
- Rethymnon (City): Walking through the streets of Rethimno is very nice, especially in the evening, when you can end your walk in one of the nice Greek taverns and restaurants.
- Hersonissos: Every Monday there is a Cretan night in the Old village Chersonissos, a few kilometers from the center of Chersonissos.
- Heraklion (City): Make no mistake, this is not a poor cousin of the archaeological museum, in terms of artifacts, anyway.
- Samaria Gorge: I walked the Samaria Gorge a little over 15 years ago, and it's one of the most spectacular walks I have ever done.
Recommendation for one day:
- Stop off at the Jolly Roger, the place to be to enjoy a cold drink by the sea while listening to great live music, watch sports or have a laugh with their quizzes.
- Find the Escape House, it's a live escape game, there's 3 rooms ready and 2 on the way. A fascinating neo-classical building, Escape House is perfect getaway from the busy life of the big city.
- Go to Acqua Plus Water Park, the most popular water park on the island of Crete.
- And then go to Gournes Beach, a sandy beach in the town of Gournes on northern Crete. It is located nine miles east of Heraklion, the capital of the island. The town is on a fertile plain where vegetables and olives are grown.
- Nearby find Cretaquarium. Its tanks are filled over 2,500 specimens of more than 200 species of Mediterranean fish .
The recommended accommodation areas for Heraklion are:
Cheap area: Anogia
Central location: Herkalion
Beach area: Elafonisi, Balos, Matala, Hersonissos, Vai, Elounda, Bali
Compared to prices worldwide, Heraklion is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $52.10, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $166.42, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $43.64
- Hotel (3 stars): $43.71
- Hotel (4 stars): $96.89
- Hotel (5 stars): $151.34
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $8.75
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $13.25
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $4.86
- Meal, McDonalds: $7.78
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $12.16
Heraklion has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 76.9 (better than United states average 47.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 91.3 (better than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 78.8 (better than United states average 41.7)
More information: Heraklion safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: In the European Union / Schengen a driver's license from an EU country is sufficient, although for North Americans it is recommended to carry a separate international driving license, in addition to the American driving license.
- Direction of traffic: In Europe the traffic is mainly right-handed. The exception is Great Britain, which is left-handed traffic.
- Insurance: In Western Europe, all rental cars include some kind of insurance, so additional insurance policies are often unnecessary (unless you are going to Russia or Eastern Europe).
- Driving abroad: You can drive a rental car almost everywhere within all countries of the European Union / Schengen territory without additional fees. Eastern European countries and Russia are the exceptions and you should always ask the car rental company in advance about the rules.