Cologne is a big city in Germany's east parts, along the Rhine. The city is Germany's fourth biggest. The city's climate is mild marine, summers being warm (average temperature +24 C) and winters being mild (+1 C). The city is considered kindly to tourists and locals exceptionally patient with people who want to learn german. The city's most famous attractions is The Cathedral of Cologne, where you can climb 509 steps to the top of tower to look at the scenery. In the city there is also enormous amount of historical objects, museums and two big parks. In the area there are also many events around the year, good shopping opportunities and good saunaculture.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Cologne forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Cologne is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $63.30, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $253.72, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $78.98
- Hotel (3 stars): $96.59
- Hotel (4 stars): $116.15
- Hotel (5 stars): $153.40
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $16.15
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $27.86
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $4.10
- Meal, McDonalds: $9.36
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $11.70
Cologne has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 56.9 (better than United states average 48.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 73.5 (better than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 51.2 (better than United states average 41.7)
More information: Cologne safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: In the European Union / Schengen a driver's license from an EU country is sufficient, although for North Americans it is recommended to carry a separate international driving license, in addition to the American driving license.
- Direction of traffic: In Europe the traffic is mainly right-handed. The exception is Great Britain, which is left-handed traffic.
- Insurance: In Western Europe, all rental cars include some kind of insurance, so additional insurance policies are often unnecessary (unless you are going to Russia or Eastern Europe).
- Driving abroad: You can drive a rental car almost everywhere within all countries of the European Union / Schengen territory without additional fees. Eastern European countries and Russia are the exceptions and you should always ask the car rental company in advance about the rules.