Cherbourg is smallish city in France's north-west coast, by the English Channel. The city's climate is mostly marine, summers being cool (+15 C) and winters being mild (+4 C). Rainfalls are mostly get from Ocotber to January. In the city there is quite big sea themed museum and the city's harbor is one of last where RMS Titanic stopped before sinking. Also many cargo ships and ferrys leave from the city over the English Channel to England or Ireland.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Cherbourg forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Cherbourg is an expensive destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $73.70, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $247.21, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $22.35
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $33.52
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $6.70
- Meal, McDonalds: $8.94
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $15.08
Cherbourg has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 53.3 (better than United states average 48.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 68.9 (a little weaker than United states average 69.0)
- Walking alone at night: 44.3 (better than United states average 41.3)
More information: Cherbourg safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: In the European Union / Schengen a driver's license from an EU country is sufficient, although for North Americans it is recommended to carry a separate international driving license, in addition to the American driving license.
- Direction of traffic: In Europe the traffic is mainly right-handed. The exception is Great Britain, which is left-handed traffic.
- Insurance: In Western Europe, all rental cars include some kind of insurance, so additional insurance policies are often unnecessary (unless you are going to Russia or Eastern Europe).
- Driving abroad: You can drive a rental car almost everywhere within all countries of the European Union / Schengen territory without additional fees. Eastern European countries and Russia are the exceptions and you should always ask the car rental company in advance about the rules.