Sofia is the capital of Bulgaria, located in the western part of the country, by the Vitosha mountain. The city's climate is humid continental climate. The summer's average temperatures are around +23 C and in winter -5 C. The city's main sights are the many beatiful orthodox churches and the many Soviet era concrete blocks. Right next to the city being Vitosha mountain has also big ski center. The city also hasseven natural mineral-rich springs, and one is located right in the centre of the city and is open to everyone.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Sofia forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Sofia is quite a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $38.48, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $95.86, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $30.51
- Hotel (3 stars): $43.16
- Hotel (4 stars): $64.74
- Hotel (5 stars): $109.18
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $3.30
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $6.05
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.22
- Meal, McDonalds: $4.41
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $5.52
Sofia has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 57.8 (better than United states average 48.3)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 84.3 (better than United states average 70.0)
- Walking alone at night: 54.8 (better than United states average 42.1)
More information: Sofia safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Driver’s license: In the European Union / Schengen a driver's license from an EU country is sufficient, although for North Americans it is recommended to carry a separate international driving license, in addition to the American driving license.
- Direction of traffic: In Europe the traffic is mainly right-handed. The exception is Great Britain, which is left-handed traffic.
- Insurance: In Western Europe, all rental cars include some kind of insurance, so additional insurance policies are often unnecessary (unless you are going to Russia or Eastern Europe).
- Driving abroad: You can drive a rental car almost everywhere within all countries of the European Union / Schengen territory without additional fees. Eastern European countries and Russia are the exceptions and you should always ask the car rental company in advance about the rules.