Ho chi minh city (Vietnam)
Ho Chi Minh City is a large city in the Vietnam, located in southern part of the country, along the Saigo River. The city was renamed to Ho Chi Minh City City (previously known as Saigon, after the Vietnam War and is now world famous for the huge amount of motorcycles and scooters. In the citys centre there are buildings that have remained from the ages when France controlled the city, including churches and hotels. The city is also famous for its floating market venues where buyers weave the boat to another along the wooden planks.
Monthly Weather Conditions
Ho Chi Minh City's weather changes at various time of the year. Most rainy days are from June to September but you can still visit in these months because there are so many great things to see and do when it rains, museums and indoor markets for example.
The best time to visit is from December to April. In terms of activities, this is surely the most attractive occasion as tourists can celebrate Christmas and New Year explosively with the local people and with great whether. You can also enjoy the Lunar New Year (around late-January and mid-February).
More information: Ho chi minh city forecast and weather conditions monthly
Ho chi minh city 11 most important sights:
- War Remnants Museum: The museum is dedicated to Vietnamese forces and tells of their struggle against invading forces.
- Cu Chi Tunnels: Tunnels created during the Vietnam War.
- Saigon Opera House (Ho Chi Minh Municipal Theater): Stately landmark building that hosts operas, classical recitals, pop concerts and dances.
- Water Buffalo Private Day Tours: Small tour operator that aims to provide quality day tours for small groups.
- FITO Museum: The first museum of traditional Vietnamese medicine.
- Bitexco Financial Tower - Saigon Skydeck: The tallest building in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Tao Dan Park: One of the city's biggest and most attractive green spaces.
- TraveltoVietnam Day Tours - Ho Chi Minh City: Tour operator that offers trips ranging from isolated backwaters to exotic travel destinations.
- Cu Chi Wildlife Rescue Station: The first multi-species rescue station in the south of Vietnam that can take care of many endangered wild species.
- Fine Arts Museum: Museum that is a restored home with sixteen showrooms displaying paintings and pottery.
- Saigon Outcast: A venue and creative space for artists, musicians, skaters, etc.
Recommendation for one day:
- Start your day with Water Buffalo Private Day Tours. They'll take you on a boatride filled with perfect views and the freshest air. You'll visit various interesting places and learn about the life and culture of the area.
- Visit the War Remnants Museum, a thematic research, collection, storage, preservation, and display of the material, photographs, artefacts and evidence of the crimes and consequences of war brought to Vietnam by invading forces.
- Nearby at the Bitexco Financial Tower is the Saigon Skydeck. It's the tallest building in the city where you will not only enjoy a full view Ho Chi Minh City and the Saigon River, but you will also have the chance to use the facilities and services at the Skydeck.
- Dong Khoi Street is a great and colorful street with many fancy shops. Or you can go to Chua Ba Thien Hau, a colorful chinese temple where you'll find lots of incense burning and colorful statues.
- Conitinue to Shrine: Cocktails & Dining, a drinking and dining experience in a temple-like atmosphere. Inspired by Banteay Srei, the "temple of women" Shrine offers delicious cocktails and a refreshing contrast to the surrounding area.
The recommended accommodation areas for Ho chi minh city are:
Cheap area: District 1
Central location: Ben Thanh
Beach area: Phan Thiet''s Doi Duong
Nightlife: Ben Nghe
Compared to prices worldwide, Ho chi minh city is a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $30.96, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $97.46, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $25.34
- Hotel (3 stars): $40.89
- Hotel (4 stars): $92.02
- Hotel (5 stars): $179.01
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $3.55
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $6.66
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $0.86
- Meal, McDonalds: $4.28
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $2.13
Ho chi minh city has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 45.9 (a little weaker than United states average 48.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 64.2 (weaker than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 38.4 (weaker than United states average 41.8)
More information: Ho chi minh city safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.