Hanoi is the capital of Vietnam, located in the northern part of the country, along the Red River. The city's climate is humid subtropical, years average temperature remains evenly near +20 C, the variation being usually +/- 7 C. Rainfalls come mostly from May to October. The city's old town is almost 1000 years old and full of everything from small boutiques to bars. In the middle of the city is quite a large park area. There are numerous attractions including the Temple of Literature, Ho Chi Minh's tomb, and various museums. The city is also a great shopping city, in addition to the large shopping malls, there is small specialist shops that sell almost anything, that can be found everywhere. The city is also located just 100 km from the Halong Bay, which is the biggest attraction in the region and the UNESCO World Heritage Site. Hanoi is also famous for its food culture. The city's biggest security risk are various scams, basically tourist pays double price for everything compared to a local.
Monthly Weather Conditions
Dont be fooled by the fact Hanoi is in Southeast Asia and think shorts and T-shirts are good to go all year round. Hanoi has four seasons, and as the citys in the northern hemisphere, that means the chilly winter starts in December and steaming summer hovers around July and August. Its impossible to give firm predictions of the Hanoi weather each month, or even each season, as temperatures, rainfall and sunshine can change from day to day.
More information: Hanoi forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Hanoi is a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $29.97, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $85.32, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $22.96
- Hotel (3 stars): $39.33
- Hotel (4 stars): $69.70
- Hotel (5 stars): $117.09
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $3.41
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $6.37
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $0.85
- Meal, McDonalds: $4.24
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $2.11
Hanoi has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 61.3 (better than United states average 48.3)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 80.2 (better than United states average 70.0)
- Walking alone at night: 54.5 (better than United states average 42.1)
More information: Hanoi safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.