Pattaya is a larger beach town at the Gulf of Thailand in the east of the country. The city's climate is tropical and the average temperature is 30 C throughout the year. Rainfall is the highest from September to October. In addition to the beautiful landscapes, the tropical heat and the long sandy beaches, the area has numerous world-class spas and very popular dentists and hospitals. The city is also very popular among sex tourists and the local go-go bars and ladyboy cabarets are an important attraction. Pattaya is also a highly frequented destination for hospital tourism, the region's private clinics are ultra-modern and doctors are often educated in Western countries.
Monthly Weather Conditions
The best time to visit Pattaya is from November to February when the weather is neither too hot nor too cold and remains mostly pleasant. This is also the peak tourist season and most beaches and other places of attraction are packed with visitors.
More information: Pattaya forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Pattaya is a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $32.05, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $83.95, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $25.78
- Hotel (3 stars): $33.94
- Hotel (4 stars): $71.29
- Hotel (5 stars): $126.84
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $2.15
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $3.15
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $2.64
- Meal, McDonalds: $6.05
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $1.99
Pattaya has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 48.7 (a little weaker than United states average 48.8)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 70.0 (a little better than United states average 68.9)
- Walking alone at night: 43.0 (a little better than United states average 41.2)
More information: Pattaya safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.