Chiang mai (Thailand)
Chiang Mai is a major city in the northern Thailand, by the Ping River. The city's climate is tropical, and temperatures remain around +30 around the year. The region's dry season lasts from November to March, when temperatures can drop as low as +10 C at night. The city has a historic centre, which was once a city surrounded by walls. Today walls are just the corners and the moat remaining. Inside the walls, however there is partly restored old city with temples, statues and pagodas. The city is considered a good place for shopping and the citys nightlife is often lively. The city is also close to the ancient Watt Phrathat doi Suthep monastery-temple.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Chiang mai forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Chiang mai is a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $34.09, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $85.35, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $26.57
- Hotel (3 stars): $32.53
- Hotel (4 stars): $86.69
- Hotel (5 stars): $271.42
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $7.00
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $12.84
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $2.33
- Meal, McDonalds: $6.66
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $2.16
Chiang mai has been classified as extremely safe with security classification 5/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 76.0 (better than United states average 47.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 94.1 (better than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 78.4 (better than United states average 41.7)
More information: Chiang mai safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.