Bangkok is the capital city of Thailand, which is located on both sides of the Chao Phraya River and very famous for its rowdy nightlife. In the better side of the city are also magnificent temples and palaces, huge shopping centers, as well as the largest aquarium in Southeast Asia. Another essential part of Bangkok are the three-wheeled cabin cycle taxis ("tuktuk"), as well as Thai boxing. The city is known as a place, that offers something for everyone."
Monthly Weather Conditions
Bangkok's weather is glorious all year round, with few changes. So don't pay too much attention to the weather when planning what time of year to visit. It is almost a year-round destination; with every season having its own distinct charms. Most rainy days fall from May to September, but you can still visit gorgeous places when it rains: temples, markets, museums and so on.
Peak season in Bangkok is between November and March, where the weather is great for getting around on foot, visiting its many sights and so on. Next comes April and May which are the hottest months, at this time Bangkok celebrates the Thai New Year with great festivities and cheer.
More information: Bangkok forecast and weather conditions monthly
Bangkok 11 most important sights:
- Temple of the Reclining Buddha (Wat Pho): One of the oldest and largest temples in Bangkok, featuring the famous Reclining Buddha.
- Temple of Dawn (Wat Arun): Considered the most famous and photographed temple in Bangkok.
- Co Van Kessel Bangkok Tours: Bangkok's original award-winning bicycle tour (including walking and boat tours).
- Bangkok Urban Adventures: Offers unique and authentic day tours around Bangkok.
- Guia en Tailandia - Day Tours: Offers excursions for an unforgettable experience.
- Chatuchak Weekend Market: Contains 15,000 shops with a wide variety of products, from household accessories to Thai handicrafts, live animals to plants.
- The Golden Mount (Wat Saket): High hill that offers stunning views at its summit over Rattanakosin Island.
- Chao Phraya River: River flowing through the heart of Bangkok; offers convenient boat transportation.
- Whisgars Ploenchit: A specialized entertainment venue providing patrons with high-end, single-cask, single-malt whiskies.
- Bangkok Food Tours: Food tour that provides an authentic culinary and cultural experience.
- Bangkok Walking Adventures - Day Tours: The beaten-path adventure; walks in the beautiful city and day trips to the neighboring provinces.
Recommendation for one day:
- Visit the Temple of the Reclining Buddha (Wat Pho). One of the oldest and largest temples in Bangkok, featuring the famous Reclining Buddha.
- Nearby you can find the Temple of Dawn (Wat Arun), which is considered to be the most famous and most photographed temple in Bangkok.
- Walking around Bangkok is great. With Nok Thai Tour - Private Day Tours, you can walk and enjoy the city stress free.
- Visit Chatuchak Market. Covering more than 35 acres, it contains 15,000 shops and stalls offering everything from household accessories and Thai handicrafts, to live animals and plants.
- Cap off your evening at Ku De Ta Bangkok, it's rightfully world-famous for its elegant restaurants, bars and nightclubs. Located on the 39th and 40th floors of the mammoth Sathorn Square Building, the views are suitably impressive, with an uninterrupted cityscape from the nightclub section and views to the Chao Phraya River and beyond from your dinner table.
The recommended accommodation areas for Bangkok are:
Cheap area: Bangkok Riverside, Banglamphu
Central location: Sukhumvit
Compared to prices worldwide, Bangkok is a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $35.38, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $96.80, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $27.31
- Hotel (3 stars): $36.23
- Hotel (4 stars): $77.64
- Hotel (5 stars): $151.35
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $6.74
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $12.36
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $2.24
- Meal, McDonalds: $6.40
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $2.14
Bangkok has been classified as safe with security classification 4/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 58.9 (better than United states average 48.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 78.6 (better than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 55.4 (better than United states average 41.8)
More information: Bangkok safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.