Taipei is the capital city of Taiwan. It is located in the north of the country between two different mountains (the Yangming and the Central Mountains). Taipei's climate is almost tropical and the average temperatures are close to 30 C in summer, while in winter the temperature can even drop close to 10 C. The city's most famous buildings are the Chiang Kai-Shek memorial shrine, which is also the local's favorite place to practice martial arts, the Taipei 101, an 101 storey skyscraper (508 m) and the world's second tallest skyscraper, as well as the Sun Yat-sen memorial shrine, which hosts the island's largest library. The city also has a considerable number of museums, temples and parks. Taipei is also one of the three famous areas, in which you can find hot springs and the associated spas.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Taipei forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Taipei is quite a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $33.17, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $140.60, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $37.86
- Hotel (3 stars): $71.50
- Hotel (4 stars): $122.47
- Hotel (5 stars): $219.45
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $6.59
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $9.88
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.65
- Meal, McDonalds: $4.29
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $3.30
Taipei has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 86.1 (better than United states average 48.3)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 95.2 (better than United states average 70.0)
- Walking alone at night: 87.7 (better than United states average 42.1)
More information: Taipei safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.