Colombo (Sri lanka)
Colombo is the capital of the Sri Lanka in the west coast of the country, by the Lakshadweep Sea. The city's climate is tropical monsoon climate and temperatures remain very close to the +30 C around the year. Rainfalls come mainly from April to May and from September to December. The city has a few good sandy beaches, long green avenues, Turtle Conservation Villa that is dedicated to protect turtles and a couple good museums. Shopping in Colombo can be made mainly in the open markets. However, the Colombo is a reasonably safe for being a south-Asian capital, most common problems are scammers and pickpockets. Local women wear very western clothes, but especially for single women tourists traveling in a certain caution is in place.
Monthly Weather Conditions
Best Time to Visit Colombo. Colombo is a year-round destination and can be visited any time of the year. Apart from the heavy monsoons, which generally last between June and September, the weather is pleasant for most of the year.
More information: Colombo forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Colombo is a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $30.33, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $91.23, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $29.12
- Hotel (3 stars): $50.93
- Hotel (4 stars): $108.02
- Hotel (5 stars): $211.58
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $1.64
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $2.95
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.59
- Meal, McDonalds: $4.50
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $1.33
Colombo has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 60.6 (better than United states average 48.3)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 79.4 (better than United states average 70.0)
- Walking alone at night: 57.3 (better than United states average 42.1)
More information: Colombo safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.