Manila is the capital of the Philippines, by the Bay of Manila, in the northern parts of the country. The city's climate is tropical savanna climate, so temperature remains very close to +30 C around the year, the dry season lasts from January to April. Manila is often considered congested, polluted the concrete jungle and only an obligatory stopping point on the way to the rest of the country. This is unfortunately true, but the city also has a varied a great nightlife, numerous museums, a large Chinatown and a piece of the old Spanish-time city. The city is also unfortunately insecure, thefts and scams are common and slum areas should especially be avoided.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Manila forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Manila is a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $30.42, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $94.54, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $30.52
- Hotel (3 stars): $46.54
- Hotel (4 stars): $86.05
- Hotel (5 stars): $157.86
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $2.03
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $3.37
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.20
- Meal, McDonalds: $2.98
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $2.98
Manila has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 35.1 (weaker than United states average 48.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 55.1 (weaker than United states average 69.0)
- Walking alone at night: 29.3 (weaker than United states average 41.3)
More information: Manila safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.