Vientiane, is the largest city in Laos and also the capital Laos, located in the north-western part of the country, along the Mekong River. The city's climate is wet and the dry tropical climate. Average summer temperatures being + 25 C and winters +14 C. The rainfalls are concentrated mainly in the summer months from May to September. The city is, if compared to other Southeast Asian capitals, small and very relaxed. After the citys numerous temples and the national monument, the most popular pastime is to walk the river back and forth with the Lao-brew beer mug in hand. The city also has two major shopping areas, the first one is the market and the second one is the actual shopping mall. The citys biggest risks are the missing manhole covers and pocket thieves.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Vientiane forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Vientiane is quite a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $33.08, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $130.66, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $23.46
- Hotel (3 stars): $30.71
- Hotel (4 stars): $72.51
- Hotel (5 stars): $184.45
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $14.67
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $27.18
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.00
- Meal, McDonalds: $5.52
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $2.70
Vientiane has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 64.1 (better than United states average 49.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 97.7 (better than United states average 70.2)
- Walking alone at night: 81.2 (better than United states average 41.1)
More information: Vientiane safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.