Amman is Jordan's capital city in the Northwest of the country. Due to its mountainous location Amman's climate is cold half-arid. Average summer temperature is often around 20 C (but can rise above 40 C) and in winter it is about 0 C. Rains fall almost exclusively during the winter and between December and February it can also come in the form of snow. The city is especially popular among tourists coming from the Persian Gulf. Within the city there are some great historic sites and the city is changing all the time to grow with the needs of the tourists. The city's shopping opportunities are also expanding dramatically from traditional squares up to modern shopping malls.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Amman forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Amman is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $52.10, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $189.11, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $43.44
- Hotel (3 stars): $79.11
- Hotel (4 stars): $139.53
- Hotel (5 stars): $209.32
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $2.98
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $5.47
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $7.05
- Meal, McDonalds: $7.05
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $5.64
Amman has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 61.2 (better than United states average 48.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 83.9 (better than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 63.4 (better than United states average 41.8)
More information: Amman safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.