Tokyo is Japan's huge capital, located in the central region of the country. The city is the second most densely populated urban area in the world and one of the world's most sophisticated cities, although the region's historic sites in the middle of urban settlements are still in a good condition. Tokio is not so much just one city, but rather an agglomeration of several cities. The city districts differ very much from each other. Aikihabara is a major center of electronics and modernism, while Chiyoda is full of old parks and temples and the youth culture meets especially in the area of Shibuya. Despite its enormous size, Tokyo is a very safe city. If you get lost or you want to know something, just ask one of the locals, who are usually very helpful. The city's most famous attractions include the temples of Asakusa, the Chiyoda Gardens and the Meiji Shrine in Harajuku.
Monthly Weather Conditions
When to go to Tokyo:
- Best Time for Good Weather: Late March to May and October to early December.
- Best Time for Sightseeing: March, April, October, and November.
- Best Time for Honeymoon: Springtime (cherry blossoms) and late fall (foliage season) are the most romantic times to visit Tokyo.
More information: Tokyo forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Tokyo is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $48.39, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $276.87, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $41.39
- Hotel (3 stars): $92.79
- Hotel (4 stars): $157.01
- Hotel (5 stars): $385.40
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $12.63
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $20.51
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $4.34
- Meal, McDonalds: $6.12
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $8.18
Tokyo has been classified as extremely safe with security classification 5/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 78.6 (better than United states average 48.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 83.8 (better than United states average 69.9)
- Walking alone at night: 79.2 (better than United states average 40.8)
More information: Tokyo safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.