Akita is a quite large city in the north-western part of Japan, by the Sea of Japan. The city's climate is humid subtropical and summer temperatures are normally around +20 C and in winter about -5 C. Rainfalls in the region mainly comes from July to January and during winter it comes as snow. Citys near areas are one of the Japan's main oil-producing areas and also agriculture (rice) is one of the largest employers. The city's main attractions are the beautiful Shensh Park and the Castle of Akita. Local rice wine (sake) is the best in Japan, if you ask from the locals.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Akita forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Akita is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $51.86, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $277.82, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Basic hotel: $87.93
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $24.39
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $43.14
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $4.22
- Meal, McDonalds: $6.57
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $7.98
Akita has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 78.0 (better than United states average 48.2)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 81.2 (better than United states average 69.8)
- Walking alone at night: 76.2 (better than United states average 42.0)
More information: Akita safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.