Jerusalem is Israel's largest city. It is located between the Judean Mountains, the Dead Sea and the Mediterranean Sea. The city's climate includes hot summers. In winter the temperatures stay above 10 C and in the summer temperatures can reach 40 C. Rain falls in this area mostly in the winter. During the city's long history it has been destroyed at least twice, was besieged 23 times, and has also been attacked more than 50 times, which includes the 44 times, when it has been occupied. It is considered a sacred place by three different religions: Christians, Muslims and Jews. The city's biggest attraction and the most sacred place for all three religion is its very small Old Town, which is surrounded by walls. In the rest of the city historical buildings and modern skyscrapers are side by side.
Monthly Weather Conditions
The best times to visit Jerusalem are April through May and October through November, when the weather is mild and the crowds are thin. However, make sure to cross-check your travel dates with major Jewish celebrations such as the High Holy Days, Sukkot, and Passover.
More information: Jerusalem forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Jerusalem is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $69.99, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $260.89, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $92.77
- Hotel (3 stars): $105.81
- Hotel (4 stars): $155.01
- Hotel (5 stars): $242.23
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $9.41
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $13.02
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $8.41
- Meal, McDonalds: $14.50
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $17.40
Jerusalem has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 65.1 (better than United states average 49.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 72.4 (a little better than United states average 69.0)
- Walking alone at night: 62.0 (better than United states average 41.3)
More information: Jerusalem safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.