Padang is a large city, by the Pacific Ocean, in the Indonesia, on the island of Sumatras west coast. The city's climate is tropical rainforest. The years average temperature is very close +26 C throughout the year and the driest month being February. Padang's most famous attractions are its colorful historical centre built by the Dutch, and the old Chinatown. The city is also very conservative, so the women should always wear at least a T-shirt and long pants, and travelling alone isnt recommended. The nightlife is almost non-existent due to the citys Muslim majority. The town is also located on top of tectonic collision zone, so earthquakes are common, the most recent large one took place in 2009, and killed more than 1,000 people.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Padang forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Padang is a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $30.12, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $68.40, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Basic hotel: $35.27
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $2.52
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $4.60
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $2.18
- Meal, McDonalds: $3.11
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $1.56
Padang has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 54.1 (better than United states average 48.3)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 70.1 (a little better than United states average 70.0)
- Walking alone at night: 43.3 (a little better than United states average 42.1)
More information: Padang safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.