Bali is a volcanic island in the central parts of Indonesia, in Southeast Asia. The island is known primarily as a paradise for surfers and scuba divers, because there are more than 500 natural coral reefs. However, Bali's attractions also include temples, local art, the lush rainforest and the rice fields in the central parts of the island, as well as black sand beaches form island's volcanic past. In addition to water tourism, the island is a popular honeymoon destination. In recent decades also sex tourism, especially from Australia, has started to become more common. The problem is worst in the southern part of the island, especially in the Kuta Beach area, should be downright avoided.
Monthly Weather Conditions
High season in Bali is during the months of July and August, during Easter Holidays, and Christmas / New Year (December till 1st week of January). This is the time Bali is the busiest. However, for many reasons, best time to come to Bali is April, May, June and September, just before and just after high season.
More information: Bali forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Bali is a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $33.20, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $106.42, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $26.66
- Hotel (3 stars): $39.45
- Hotel (4 stars): $135.44
- Hotel (5 stars): $280.58
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $3.05
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $5.63
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $2.37
- Meal, McDonalds: $3.39
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $1.70
Bali has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 52.4 (better than United states average 48.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 62.8 (weaker than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 51.7 (better than United states average 41.8)
More information: Bali safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.