Srinagar is a large city in the northern part of India, along the Jhelum River, in the valley of Kashmir. The city's climate is humid subtropical, due to its location, 1585 meters above sea level. The summers average temperature is +27 C and winters +2.5 C. Most of the rainfalls are got from February to April. The city is famous for its many beautiful lakes, canals and gardens. Some of the city's residents and hotels live around the year in special boat houses. Though traveling to the city isnt yet recommended, as there has been throughout the 2000s, a series of violent rebellions, with both protesters and police officers getting killed. Last time there was larger protests in 2013 in the area.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Srinagar forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Srinagar is a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $31.15, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $73.97, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Basic hotel: $35.27
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $1.64
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $2.63
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.85
- Meal, McDonalds: $3.60
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $1.98
Srinagar has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 67.8 (better than United states average 48.3)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 84.2 (better than United states average 70.0)
- Walking alone at night: 61.2 (better than United states average 42.1)
More information: Srinagar safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.