Kolkata is the second largest city in India, its located in the countrys easternmost corner, along the Hooghly River. The city's climate is tropical, so the temperature stays very close to +30 C throughout the year and the most rainfall comes from May to October. The city has a lot of colonial-era buildings, gardens, palaces, mosques and temples. The city also has a few good museums and the city is also India's soccer center. Calcuttas large markets are popular among shoppers. Calcutta is also a little safer than most of the Indian cities, although the normal security rules in Muslim country is good to keep in mind.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Kolkata forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Kolkata is a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $30.03, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $79.35, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $27.93
- Hotel (3 stars): $43.97
- Hotel (4 stars): $69.42
- Hotel (5 stars): $112.33
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $1.53
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $2.36
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.83
- Meal, McDonalds: $3.52
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $2.11
Kolkata has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 51.6 (better than United states average 49.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 75.9 (better than United states average 70.2)
- Walking alone at night: 46.0 (better than United states average 41.0)
More information: Kolkata safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.